Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sayings from the Souk

This morning we went downtown to the big street market (souk) with our language helper. I think this was one of my favorite experiences so far here in Egypt. I'm not exactly sure why. But we laughed and laughed over some of the things the shop keepers would call out to us to entice us into their store. 

"For you, everything in my store is free!"

"Whatever you need, I have it in my store!"

"Come! Let me take your money!"

"Small sizes t-shirt, 1 pound."
     Me, to our language helper, "And when he says, "1 pound"?" She replied, "He is a liar!"

"Today, everything in my store, 99% discount. You know why?"
       Brian, "Why?"
       "Today is my mother's birthday!"

"I don't know what you want... but I have what you need!"

"I want to make a deal with you. Because you are beautiful woman and you have a beautiful baby."

"Don't break my bleeding heart."

"That price is impossible."

We bought three alabaster candle holders. I absolutely love them. When I get some tea lights to go in them, I will take a picture and show you. They glow gorgeously.

And we got them for the "impossible price" too. 'Cause we are awesome.

1 comment:

  1. only two comments you didn't get...."I see your eyes in my dreams!" and "how many camels for your wife?" :):) glad you all are adjusting well..hope to meet you one day! :)
    stacey

    ReplyDelete