Thursday, September 9, 2010

Beggars

We encounter beggars every day on the street here in Egypt. Women holding children asking for food or shoes or money. Men with canes or that are blind. Children who ask repeatedly for food or money.

As Americans, we've struggled with feeling "panhandled" based on our experience with beggars who live in the States. And it is sometimes hard to separate our feelings about the ones back home and the true life beggars who stand in front of us every day in Egypt. Someone who has been here for about a year reminded us that it wasn't as if our money would go for drugs or alcohol... these are people with genuine needs who stand before us.

It feels awkward though. Someone shuffles up to you and starts mumbling in a foreign language and won't stop and won't go away. I feel guilty, because I have so much and they have so little. I feel embarrassed, because I feel that attention is drawn to me and everyone is watching to see how I, the foreigner, will respond. I feel frustrated, because I am typically out with Brian and don't carry cash on me, so I can't just slip them a few coins and move on. I feel inadequate, because their need is so much greater than what I can provide. I feel sad, because I don't know how to fix it and I don't have the resources to do so, even if I had the perfect plan.

And honestly, I don't like any of these feelings. And it isn't about me or how I feel anyway... A great Prophet once said, "Give to the one who begs from you... " But sometimes it is hard to know what to appropriately give in each situation. 

Tonight Emily and I passed the beggar lady who sits in front of our local market. She asked us for money, but I had no small change in my pocket. While we were in the store we picked up 2 apples and small bottle of juice for 7 pounds (about $1.25). Emily asked if she could give it to her. As we left, the lady again asked us for money, and Emily went to her with a smile and gave her the apples and the juice.

I have never heard such a stream of blessings that poured from the lady's mouth! She called Emily back to her and kissed her hand with the biggest smile I have ever seen on a beggar's face. To her, giving her apples and juice was so much more than just handing her a few pounds and walking on.

Perhaps because it was a little more personal to her. Perhaps because if we had given her a few pounds she would have bought street bread. Again. But the apples and the juice were a treat. I don't know what made the difference between the food and the pounds. But Emily and I both want to do it again. Giving food was much more rewarding for us and for her.

I can't give apples and juice to all the needy people in Egypt... but I can to a few and make a difference to those few on that day.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I totally understand the many feelings you expressed in your encounters with beggars as I have had the same experiences in the foreign countries I've visited. It sounds like you and Emily were able to have a precious experience with the beggar lady that you won't soon forget! How true are those words of the great Prophet! :)

    ReplyDelete