Monday, February 28, 2011

When the Questions Change

When you live overseas with children, children who are beginning to process life and ask questions, the questions begin to change.

As I was cooking this morning, Emily came in with this one:

"Mommy, my friends, Rachel and Kelsie,  (names changed) are wearing tarhas, and I want to wear one. Can I wear a tarha, Mommy?"

At 6, the question is not one of religious identity, it is a question of fitting in and being like her friends. If we were in the States, she would be wanting a Hannah Montana t-shirt. Now that I think about it, I can say "yes" to the tarha easier than I could Hannah Montana. At least she would be identifying herself with women who are keeping themselves pure instead of a teen pop idol.

And can I really resort to the lame question concerning cliffs and friends and jumping that parents have been copping out on for years? Is that really a good answer for this question?

In my mind, that sort of answer is a cop out. I'm not answering the question or addressing the issues.

Ask me about where babies come from, I've read a book about how to answer that!

No comments:

Post a Comment