Friday, April 29, 2011

Adventures at the Mall or The FlipFlop Debacle

About 3 months ago, when my mother said she was sending a box to us, I asked for some flip flops for the girls. Last summer, they practically lived in them and I expect this summer to be the same way. She agreed, the only hiccup was sizing.

Savannah was easy, I found an old pair of her shoes that were size 7 and asked for size 8s. Emily, however, had worn all the sizing off every pair of shoes she had brought with her from the States. So Mom measured flip flops and I measured Emily's feet and a box was sent across the ocean.

Amid much rejoicing and excitement, it arrived at our door, we paid the fees and brought it inside. There were cute flip flips for Emily, cute flip flops for me and cute flip flops for Savannah. Much to my surprise and dismay, Savannah's were about 2 sizes too small. When I compared them to last year's pair, they were even small then those.

Poor Savannah. I promised to find some here, knowing I would pay way more than I would in the States and that they would be hard to find, but I couldn't just let her not have some.

 A week later, we went to Carrefour and found an adorable pair of flip flops for about $3. I was ecstatic and laughed about how cheap they were and how easy they were to find with my mother on Skype.

The very next day, they broke.

Today, (about a month later) the three girls and I ventured to a Mall not too far away from our house. We arrived at about 10:30 and I was slightly dismayed to find that most of the stores in the mall were closed. Oh, right, it is Friday. Of course.

"No problem", I thought, "I can never find my way around here anyway. By the time we go to the bathroom and actually find the shoe stores, they will be open." That was a bit optimistic of me.

An hour later, we stopped by a chipsy store and bought snacks, then found the seating area to eat. We sat close to the escalators and while we were eating we chatted and watched people go up and down.

One lady caught my eye. She was lugging a baby that looked to be just over a year old with a 2.5 year right behind her. She put the baby on a ledge about 3.5 feet off the floor, handed her bottle to her and walked off. The man sitting two tables away from her, called her back, apparently not liking the baby being left on the ledge. They exchanged words and I saw the woman look around her for another solution. Then she walked over and put the baby in the chair next to the man. At this point, I assumed they were husband and wife and then she walked off. Three minutes later she came back down the escalator, this time with a stroller. She said "Salaam ah'laquim" to the man as she picked up the baby, put her in the stroller and went off to do her shopping.

Such is life in a community based society.

We ate our snickers and chips, drank our juice, washed our hands and because activity around me had picked up, I hoped stores would be opening soon, so we started walking again.

We found the shoe stores. They were not open.
We sat on a ledge and played "I Spy."
I spilled my coke.
They were not open.

We walked around again, this time letting Sophie walk instead of sitting in the stroller.
Still not open.

I chased Sophie through a computer store.
Emily knocked over a trash can.
Still not open.

I asked Savannah if we could go home and come back another today. She said, Yes, after we bought some flip flops.

We walked some more.
Oh, my goodness! They were finally starting to open!

We started looking at flip flops. However, Egyptians consider flip flops low class foot wear and the only ones I could find were cheap plastic ones. Not something comfortable for her to wear every day all day long. And I was worried about the plastic between her toes causing blisters.

So we settled for a pair of sandals that she says she likes "the bery, bery, best."

Considering she wore them for 5 minutes before she took them off. I don't think I believe her. 

We shopped for at least 15 minutes before we came home.

So good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment