Monday, April 11, 2011

Super Market

Savannah and I, with Sophie in the stroller, walked to the local super market today. As we also did yesterday. But today was different than yesterday.

Today, we were greeted by one of my favorite checkers, who took Sophie from me and began playing with her. After about 5-8 minutes of standing around waiting for her to finish playing, so I could do my shopping, the manager came out and told me to go shop and that Mary would play with Sophie. Since the Supermarket is only a little bigger than my living room and dining room, I accepted.

Halfway through my shopping, I spotted Sophie running down each isle of the store, Mary in pursuit... My first instinct was to save Mary and put Sophie back in the shopping cart. But Mary looked like she was having more fun than Sophie was and when she saw me, she smiled and said that "Sophie is shopping!"

Of course.

I spoke with the men at the meat counter. We exchanged pleasantries.

Sophie held a photo shoot in the middle of the store with about 6 of the other workers. Camera phones everywhere, while everyone had a turn holding Sophie and having their picture taken.

Savannah and I chatted as we finished checking things off our list. We even bought sour cream!

When we got to the check-out counter, Sophie was returned to me for about 1.5 seconds. Then she was whisked away to meet yet another worker who had just arrived.

Because of her celebrity status, it took me about 20 minutes longer to check out than normal. And even I was asked to have my picture taken, both with Sophie and two of the women.

When we left, we passed our "lemon and mint man". Savannah has developed a love affair with fresh mint, so I bought some and she carried it all the way home. Nose buried in it as she made up songs about how wonderful mint smells.


My children keep my life happy.
And interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment