Monday, May 2, 2011

Things You Don't See in America: Part 7


Several times a day men with carts like this walk down our street. On the right hand side of the picture there are two gold disks sitting on his cart, these he clangs together to announce his comings and goings.

Typically, he is serving a hot soup with beans in the bottom that you drink out of the bag with a straw. Then you eat the beans.


When my friends insisted that I try it, I was expecting something sweet, so the salty, beany flavor was strange. But, if I had tried it with the idea of soup in my head, I would have liked it from the first sip.


Each bag costs about 1 pound or 20 cents.

The boy on the bike with the boxes in the front is one of our local delivery boys. For about one dollar, you can have anything delivered to your door. One day, I was walking home carrying about 6 liters of Coke. One of the boys stopped and asked me, in Arabic, if I needed anything. I plopped the coke on the back of his bike and told him my building number. Off he went.

For a moment, I was nervous, but a couple minutes later he came back and I tipped him. When I got home, my Coke was sitting with our boab on the porch. Whats not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment