Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year's Resolutions


Many people have written about rather we should write resolutions, how and why and why not. But I need a written reminder. A way to make goals and remind myself of priorities. I've been thinking a lot about what my Resolutions would be, if I were to write some.

Several weeks ago, a man in Sunday School was talking about something and one phrase stood out. He said, "we should handle our relationships as if they were entrusted to us by God." That phrase is why I have no idea what else he said. I couldn't stop thinking about it. If I treated my relationships as if God hand-picked me to be a part of this person's life, everything would change. Particularly, if they were part of a challenging relationship. *ahem*

My thoughts about people would change.
My attitudes towards them would change.
The way I spoke about them.
The way I interacted with them.
The way I loved them. It would all change.

My overarching goal for this year, is to start making those changes. To treat each person as if he/she were entrusted to me by God. Whether it is a momentary meeting in a store, an acquaintance, or a long-time friend or family member. I don't think this will be easy. But I think it will be amazing.

Goals for 2013:

  • Say "Yes" to the kids when I can instead of just an automatic "No".
  • Finish Benjamin's Christmas stocking.
  • Read to the kids every day.
  • Read a book a week for myself.
  • Create a cleaning routine and make it happen. 
  • Learn to accept interruptions gracefully.
I would say something about blogging more, but remember that time I said that I was going to post a picture every day for a month and I did it for, oh, two days? Yeah. I remember. 

     




No comments:

Post a Comment