Sunday, October 17, 2010

Customer Service


Overall, the customer service in Egypt cannot be complained about. I love the fact that about twice a week a man shows up at my door, takes all our wrinkled shirts and returns them a day or so later for about 0.20 per shirt.

I’ve had the best dentist experiences here than I ever had in the States. I walk in, they take my name. It is a mere formality that they tell me to sit in the waiting room. Within minutes, they will call my name and begin work. The shots even have hurt less here.

If I go to one of our local souks or market, a man on a bicycle will typically cart my purchases home for the grand tip of $1.00. Most of them will put it in my kitchen for me! Score for Egypt. 0 for Wal-Mart.
And everyone will deliver food to my door, typically within an hour. I don’t even have to pick up the phone for this miracle to occur. Score 2 for Egypt. 0 for Curb-Side Pick-up.

Yesterday Emily, a friend and I went to get our hair cut. Again, there was no long wait in the waiting room for our turn. Instead, we explained what we wanted and we started taking turns to get our hair washed. Hair cutting began immediately. However, the woman used cold water to wash my hair. Cold water. She would have never gotten away with that back home. And we still tipped her.

I find that I am more comfortable about inconvenience here than I am in the States. We lived in our flat for almost a week without warm water working in the kitchen. We are currently on day 5 without air conditioner in the master bedroom. We ride taxi’s, bleach our vegetables and live without convenient, pre-made food. And the majority of the time, I’m totally ok with it.

I’ve wondered about it. Do I appreciate ironing so much that Kraft has no power over me here? Am I just so grateful I have running hot water that I don’t mind that white chocolate chips have to be shipped in? Am I so happy I have a washer and dryer that I don’t mind that it takes 5 hours to wash and dry one load of laundry? Will this wear off eventually?

Now, please don’t misunderstand. I have moments here and there that I would give my right hand to have a shopping spree in Target. Or lunch at my mother-in-law’s kitchen table (crawfish etouffee, anyone?). Or a tub of Blue Bell in one hand and slab of bacon in the other. And I may have had a day or two when I would have immediately taken a plane ticket back to the Land of the Free without a second thought.

But mostly, I’m happy to be here.
And that makes the inconvenience a little less uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment