Thursday, February 17, 2011

Petra: the Treasury and the Donkeys

February 15, 2011

The Treasury

The weather was gorgeous. It was cool enough that we weren't too hot for all the of the walking, but warm enough that we weren't freezing. It was a long way back through the canyon to get to any of the major sites. But our little girls are troopers and there were things to look at all through the canyon.

The buildings that were carved in the rocks were just amazing.
As was the amphitheater

 I took the picture of the amphitheater from the inside of this cave. Sadly, the patterns and colors of the rock were much more stunning than in the picture. 


This is the "Roman" part of Petra and also where we decided to ride the donkeys.






The smile on my face is very deceptive.

The donkey ride terrified me. Well, it wasn't the donkey's persay. It was the 800 rock steps up the side of the mountain and then the 800 rock steps back down the side of the mountain that terrified me.

"Keep in the middle, madam." Our guide would tell me every time my weight slightly shifted, which was a lot! 

I was so scared that the donkey would slip and that I would break my baby and smash my camera as we tumbled down the mountain. But Emily and Savannah, who were on their own donkey, were laughing and talking and being much braver than their mommy.


So I just squeezed my eyes shut and hung on tight and was surprised to find at the end, that we all arrived safely at the monastery and then back down to the bottom of the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment