Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Happy Birthday, Leigh!


Happy Birthday to my sister Leigh!


     I remember being small and it was Halloween. My family didn't do any Trick-or-Treating, so Leigh came over with a bag of candy and spread it around the living room and let us kids find it.
     I remember she always brought great presents for birthdays and Christmas. We knew she would come through the door shouting Happy Birthday and have arm fulls of presents.
     I remember the coolest thing ever as a kid was to get to go somewhere with her. That it didn't happen very often, made it especially exciting. 
     I remember hoping she would notice me and talk to me and she always did and always had something sweet to say. I valued her opinion.
     On days she had said she would come to visit, I remember staring out the window long before it was time for her to show up.
     I remember thinking she was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. 
     She drove several hundred miles to come attend my high school graduation.
     I remember her encouraging me that "everything would work out" during a particularly dark time in my relationship with Brian. She was right.
    I remember on my wedding day, while we were driving to the wedding, at a stop sign she stopped the car and got out and ran around the car, dancing, and shouting "Christy's getting married today!"
     I remember cards and letters while I was 1200 miles away from home.
     I remember visiting her when she lived in Texas and going to a park and she took pictures and swung in the swings and played with my girls.
     I remember feeling so excited and honored when she would drive down and visit me and go shopping and out to eat.
     I remember shopping with her on Black Friday and getting up crazy early, pregnant with Sophie, and standing in long lines, having a blast because I was with her.
    
 And now I get to watch her love my kids. She sends the best mail: cards, letters, presents and even awesome packages from across the ocean make my kids day. They love their Aunt Leigh like crazy. 
 
Savannah Leigh is her namesake because of her influence in my life. Leigh lives her life loving other people. She is sensitive to the feelings of people around her and tries to meet their needs. She brings happiness everywhere she goes.

I'm almost 29 years old and I still want to be like my big sister Leigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment