Tuesday, August 28, 2012

'Twas the Night Before the First Day of Home School

We start Emily's first day of third grade tomorrow.

Third Grade.

How is this even possible? My little almost eight-year-old. Third Grade. 

Today I've been buying folders and printing lesson plans and putting books in order. And thinking.

I'm a concrete person. Homeschooling teaches you things about yourself. And I've recently been given the word for what I am. Concrete. I've known this. I've seen it. But it comes out particularly in home schooling. I like lessons plans that are already made. I want to choose the what, but the how I need spelled out for me. If I do not have step-by-step directions and you just hand the book to me - I get overwhelmed. But step-by-step? I can do that. 

Charter School for Savannah.
Home School for Emily.

I've been reading a new book, Going Public, recommended by a friend. I'm going to write its own post, but for now, I'll just say that it challenges and inspires me.

I believe that Harmony is where Savannah is supposed to be. Without a shadow of a doubt.

But when I sat today at the table, planning Emily's third grade year, looking at astronomy and art books, I was sad a little. Sad at the moments of frustration during math that Savannah will miss with me. The messes we won't make during astronomy and art.

But, in the place of frustration and messes, we have new conversations. We talk about her teacher and her new friends and music and computer class. And that is really how life does, ya know, new conversations. Because when you have only the same conversations, there is no growth. No change. No possibilities. No room for miracles.

I am excited about this opportunity with Emily. I have time for extra subjects like art because I'm only schooling one child. This is a fun age to teach because she is thinking and talking at such a new level than the previous years.

We started piano lessons last night. She also made tuna salad for the first time with minimal help from me. I'm using Veritas Press again this year where we will study Greece and Rome. Substituting Math-U-See for Saxon. And adding astronomy and art.

For her First Day of School dinner, she requested lamb and fatoush, with Death By Chocolate for dessert. Brian suggested we go eat at a middle eastern restaurant here in town instead of cooking ourselves and since I'm starting school with Emily and dropping off and picking up Savannah, along with caring for Sophie and Benjamin, I was happy to agree. I'll make the dessert and we will eat it when we come home.

These are exciting times.

1 comment:

  1. A niece after my own heart! I love lamb! And I'm the same with the step by step stuff...I can pick the what, but I like it all spelled out as to what to do WITH the what...Kind of like house decorating...I am not great at coming up with "the look" but I can see it in a magazine and say, "that's it!! That's what I've been looking for!"

    ReplyDelete