Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Twas the Night Before the First Day of School

The girls are in bed, asleep, I guess, because I haven't heard from them in awhile. Benjamin is fighting sleep in his bed. But he is making sleepy-noises, so he will soon follow.

It is the night before Savannah's first day of school.

Clothes are laid out for all three girls, I figure everyone should get ready for the day. Savannah has her uniform folded with her shoes and socks on top.

The lunch box is open on the counter, waiting for the last few refrigerated things to be put in it with an ice pack from the freezer.

Her back pack is packed, though waiting for her lunch box.  Papers for the teacher, an extra set of clothes, a bag labeled "Snack" with a juice box and goldfish crackers.

I hope I'm not forgetting anything.

It is all new tonight and tomorrow, after that, it just becomes routine. What we do. Like every other change in our lives. Each new baby was new, until she/he became an extension of us. Egypt was new, until it became familiar. Each new house is new, until it becomes home.

Savannah and I were talking yesterday about school, about fears and making friends, about learning new things. And we were talking about how it will be new, but soon she will know where to sit at her desk and where the bathrooms are and where she eats her lunch. It is comforting, sitting on the couch, thinking about all her new experiences tomorrow, knowing that we had that talk. That she knows it won't always be new. 

I'll be sad, watching her go.
I'll be proud, knowing she is excited to go.
I'll be praying she is safe and happily making new friends.
I'll be hoping she is listening to her teacher and following instructions. 
I'll be waiting for her to come home. 
I'll be excited to hear about her day and to have our First Day of School special dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment